TOUR THE BIRTHPLACE OF SECRETARIAT AT THE MEADOW
Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register!
Take the Hoofprints of History Tour, and walk the same grounds where the immortal Secretariat was born and raised. Hear how Christopher Chenery transformed his ancestral homeplace into a renowned Thoroughbred farm and how his daughter Penny took his dream to unprecedented heights, first with Riva Ridge, then with “America’s Super Horse,” Secretariat.
Tours are conducted by Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager and award-winning co-author of the best-selling Secretariat’s Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend, as well as Riva Ridge – Penny’s First Champion. The full tour takes about 90 minutes.
- NEW – Groundshaker, a Secretariat great-great granddaughter, is now living at The Meadow. She is the last horse bred and raced by Penny Chenery.
- NEW – Mia, the spunky little miniature horse who is Groundshaker’s “barn buddy”
- NEW – the World’s Largest Horseshoe, a 600-lb. shoe modeled after Secretariat’s racing shoe
- NEW – The Chenery Collection of rare Meadow Stable memorabilia and personal family items
- Original foaling shed where Secretariat was born March 30, 1970
- Original yearling, stallion and training barns built in the 1930s
- The Cove, where the Meadow mares and foals grazed
- Secretariat stride markers showing his 25-foot racing stride
- LOVEwork sign inspired by Meadow Stable
- Historical exhibits in the Meadow Champions Galleries and Triple Crown Room in Meadow Hall
- Meadow gift shop featuring exclusive Secretariat souvenirs and personal book signing by author
Hands down, the tour was the highlight of our trip – the story of Secretariat, the Meadows (and Riva Ridge) is amazing.
– Brent R. Collins, Minnesota
GROUP TOURS BY TRAM
Ideal for corporate or civic outings, retirement communities, 4-H clubs and other groups. Group tour includes special presentation by author/historian with showing of Secretariat’s Triple Crown races. A minimum of 12 guests is preferred to reserve tram. Multiple trams can accommodate larger groups. A handicap-accessible tram is available upon request. Cost of tram tour: $15 per adult; $8 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
Add to the romance of The Meadow with our “Champagne Tram Tour” for equestrian-themed wedding receptions.
Discover how you can capture the winning spirit of Secretariat for your next team-building/leadership event. Email Leeanne Ladin for additional information at email@example.com
NARRATED WALKING TOURS
This tour is for individuals or small groups. Ideal for a family outing or entertaining out-of- town guests. Cost is: $12 per adult, $6 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
BOOK YOUR HOOFPRINTS OF HISTORY TOUR
ALL TOURS ARE BY RESERVATION ONLY. PAYMENT IS DUE UPON ARRIVAL. Availability depends on the schedule of other events at The Meadow Event Park; therefore, we cannot accommodate unscheduled, walk-up tours.
- General tour times:
2 p.m. Tuesday – Sunday
- Other tour times may be arranged by special request.
- Tours are year-round as weather and scheduled events permit.
There are public restrooms near the barns, and parking is free.
For more information and to schedule a Hoofprints of History Tour, please contact Leeanne Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 804-363-1683.
Come visit the Virginia farm that produced an American legend. A portion of proceeds go toward the restoration of the historic barns at The Meadow.