Secretariat Birthplace Tours
TOUR THE BIRTHPLACE OF SECRETARIAT AT THE MEADOW
Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register!
Take our narrated Secretariat Birthplace Tour and walk the same grounds where the immortal Secretariat was born and raised. Hear how Christopher Chenery transformed his ancestral homeplace into a renowned Thoroughbred farm and how his daughter Penny took his dream to unprecedented heights, first with Riva Ridge, then with “America’s Super Horse,” Secretariat.
Tours are conducted by Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager and award-winning co-author of the best-selling Secretariat’s Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend, as well as Riva Ridge – Penny’s First Champion. The full tour takes about 90 minutes.
- NEW: Secretariat Christmas Tours & Shopping in Meadow Hall! (Cancelled for 12/9/18)
- NEW – Groundshaker, a Secretariat great-great granddaughter, is now living at The Meadow. She is the last horse bred and raced by Penny Chenery.
- NEW – Mia, the spunky little miniature horse who is Groundshaker’s “barn buddy”
- NEW – The Chenery Collection of rare Meadow Stable memorabilia and personal family items
- Original foaling shed where Secretariat was born March 30, 1970
- Original yearling, stallion and training barns built in the 1930s
- The Cove, where the Meadow mares and foals grazed
- Secretariat stride markers showing his 25-foot racing stride
- LOVEwork sign inspired by Meadow Stable
- Historical exhibits in the Meadow Champions Galleries and Triple Crown Room in Meadow Hall
- Meadow gift shop featuring exclusive Secretariat souvenirs and personal book signing by author
“I wanted to tell you what how much my buddy, Tamara, and I enjoyed our Secretariat tour today…Our experience could not have been better, unless we had been offered a trail ride on Secretariat himself. Your knowledge was amazing and your stories heartwarming. It must sometimes be difficult to give the same tour over and over, but you made everything fresh and intriguing. Words can’t convey how much we enjoyed ourselves and I can only hope that you know your efforts were deeply appreciated.” – Eve Young from Alexandria
“I came to The Meadow Tour on July 29th. With all you do, I truly don’t expect you to remember me. However, I will remember you and your genuine love for the land, the family and the Legend for rest of my life. I cannot thank you enough for your easy way of telling the stories and the passion and love I saw in your eyes when you spoke of the mares that The Meadow was built on. Please keep doing exactly what you do and The Meadow, Riva and Secretariat will live on for generations to come. Once again thank you!” – Nancy Hayden from New Jersey Brent R. Collins, Minnesota
GOLF CART TRAM TOURS
We have a new golf cart tram which can carry from one to seven guests! Ideal for individuals or a family outing. Cost is $12 per adult; $6 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
EDUCATORS AND FIELD TRIP COORDINATORS
Bring your school or church groups, 4-H clubs, YMCA summer camp kids or other youth groups for a lively, informative tour of Secretariat’s birthplace. It’s horsey, hands-on fun!
Add to the romance of The Meadow with our “Champagne Tram Tour” for equestrian-themed wedding receptions.
Discover how you can capture the winning spirit of Secretariat for your next team-building/leadership event. Email Leeanne Ladin for additional information at email@example.com
BOOK YOUR SECRETARIAT BIRTHPLACE TOUR
ALL TOURS ARE BY RESERVATION ONLY. PAYMENT IS DUE UPON ARRIVAL.
Availability depends on the schedule of other events at The Meadow Event Park; therefore, we cannot accommodate unscheduled, walk-up tours.
For more information and to schedule a Secretariat Birthplace Tour, please contact Leeanne Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 804-363-1683.
Come visit the Virginia farm that produced an American legend. A portion of proceeds go toward the restoration of the historic barns at The Meadow.