Secretariat Birthplace Tours
TOUR THE BIRTHPLACE OF SECRETARIAT AT THE MEADOW
Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register!
Take our narrated Secretariat Birthplace Tour and walk the same grounds where the immortal Secretariat was born and raised. Hear how Christopher Chenery transformed his ancestral homeplace into a renowned Thoroughbred farm and how his daughter Penny took his dream to unprecedented heights, first with Riva Ridge, then with “America’s Super Horse,” Secretariat.
Tours are conducted by Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager and award-winning co-author of Secretariat’s Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend, as well as Riva Ridge – Penny’s First Champion. Penny Chenery’s daughter, author/speaker Kate Chenery Tweedy, often makes a special appearance at the tours.
- Groundshaker, our resident Secretariat great-great granddaughter, the star of the tours. She is the last horse bred and raced by Penny Chenery.
- Mia, the spunky little miniature horse, Groundshaker’s “barn buddy”
- The Chenery Collection featuring rare Meadow Stable memorabilia and personal family items, such as the riding outfits and boots of both Penny Chenery and her father Christopher Chenery
- Historical exhibits in the Meadow Champions Galleries and Triple Crown Room in Meadow Hall mansion, including important racing trophies and a sculpture of Secretariat.
- Original foaling shed where Secretariat was born March 30, 1970
- Original yearling, stallion and training barns built in the 1930s
- The Cove, where the Meadow mares and foals grazed
- Secretariat stride markers showing his enormous 25-foot racing stride
- America’s Largest Horseshoe, a 600-lb. replica of Secretariat’s racing shoe
Meadow gift shop featuring exclusive Secretariat souvenirs and personal book signing by authors
BOOK YOUR SECRETARIAT BIRTHPLACE TOUR
ALL TOURS ARE BY RESERVATION ONLY. PAYMENT IS DUE UPON ARRIVAL.
The cost of the narrated tour is $15 per adult: $8 for children age 5-12. The 90-minute tour begins in Meadow Hall mansion, then proceeds via tram to the historic barns, Groundshaker’s paddock and concludes at the gift shop. We offer two options for the outside part of the tour:
GOLF CART TRAM TOURS: Our golf cart tram can carry from one to seven guests. Ideal for individuals or a small family outing.
GROUP TOURS BY LARGE TRAM: Our larger trams seat from 25 – 40 guests. Ideal for corporate outings, civic groups, clubs, senior and youth groups and more. Tours can be customized for private groups to include box lunches and other features.
Tours are offered at 2 pm Wednesday – Sunday by advance reservation.
PLEASE NOTE: The booking of all tours depends on the schedule of other events and staff availability at The Meadow Event Park; therefore, we cannot accommodate unscheduled, walk-up tours.
For more information and to reserve a Secretariat Birthplace Tour, please contact Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 804-363-1683.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR SECRETARIAT EVENTS
AT THE MEADOW EVENT PARK:
Our tour program also includes special events such as:
- Our annual Secretariat Birthday Celebration March 27-29, 2020 to celebrate his 50th birthday!
- Derby Day party Saturday May 2, 2020
- Salute to Secretariat at The State Fair of Virginia (Sept 27-October 6, 2019)
Come visit the Virginia farm that produced an American legend! A portion of proceeds go to our new non-profit, the Secretariat Heritage Center, for the restoration of the historic barns at The Meadow. See www.secretariatheritagecenter.org for more info.